Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Week 4 Reading

This week's reading was about home pages and how to make them the most effective. I think that this chapter was very helpful during my analysis of my e-commerce website design. The website that Whitney and I chose to do for our e-commerce redesign has the most horrible homepage ever. It has so much going on, and the viewer has no idea where to look first, or where to go to find what they are looking for, and that is why Whitney and I chose to redesign 1-800-bakery.com.
I think that the homepage is the most important part of a website because it tells the user what their experience is going to be like. For example, with 1-800-bakery.com, the user's first experience with the site is a bunch of crazy boxes with different offers in them, and with that first experience, the user will feel like the whole site would be confusing and full of information that will be hard to navigate.

I found some sites with really horrible homepages (including my e-commerce site!)

1-800-bakery.com (for obvious reasons!)

walmart.com (I know that this website is actually pretty organized, but all of the scrolling words, pictures and flashes of video makes my head hurt!)

And, strangely, I think that webpagesthatsuck.com has a pretty crappy homepage, and all the blue links make me not even want to explore the site further.

No comments:

Post a Comment